The second year’s commitments of our Environmental Plan were recently agreed at the Operational Services Committee meeting held on 14 June and include:
- Over £1m to spend on energy efficiency improvements to homes in the district, plus £100,000 to improve the energy efficiency of the Council’s main office building, The Grange
- New grass cutting and wildflower management to help support greater biodiversity
- Adoption of our new Cycling and Walking Strategy for East Cambridgeshire, and working on preliminary studies for priority cycling routes which will help us lobby for funding
- Creation of a new tree-based maze – watch out for the kids maze design competition!
- Orchard planting programme – free fruit trees will be on offer to community groups, schools and parish councils – coming in the planting season this autumn
- Developing a ‘nature recovery strategy’ for East Cambridgeshire, to feed into Cambridgeshire wide nature recovery actions and frameworks
- Reducing emissions from our waste collection vehicles by reconfiguring routes